Effects of Weight Loss on Adipose Tissue Distribution
Effect of Weight Loss on Intra-abdominal Obesity
- 1Key Points (1 page)
- 2Weight Loss and Abdominal Obesity (1 page)
- 3Exercise-induced Weight Loss and Intra-abdominal Fat Reduction (2 pages)
- 4Diet-induced Weight Loss and Intra-abdominal Fat Reduction (1 page)
- 5Is Exercise or Diet Better at Reducing Intra-abdominal Fat? (2 pages)
- 6Exercise Without Weight Loss and Intra-abdominal Fat Reduction (4 pages)
- 7References (1 page)
- Intra-abdominal fat is a strong predictor of metabolic abnormalities, disease, and mortality.
- As little as 20 minutes of daily exercise can reduce intra-abdominal fat by 10%. Increasing exercise to 60 minutes a day can lead to even greater reductions (~30%).
- Reducing daily caloric intake by 400 to 700 kcal can cause a 15 to 30% reduction in intra-abdominal fat.
- For a given amount of weight loss, exercise preserves muscle mass and causes greater reductions in total and intra-abdominal fat compared to diet-induced weight loss.
- Although reducing body weight causes the greatest reduction in intra-abdominal fat, exercise training can significantly reduce intra-abdominal fat, even when weight is maintained.