The Concept of CMR
Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
- 1Key Points (1 page)
- 2The “Diabesity” Epidemic (1 page)
- 3Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes: Epidemiological Evidence (1 page)
- 4Thrifty Genotype vs. Thrifty Phenotype (1 page)
- 5References (1 page)
- Changes in human behaviour and lifestyle over the last century have spurred a dramatic increase in the incidence of obesity and type 2 diabetes worldwide.
- Because obesity and diabetes are closely linked, the term “diabesity” has been coined to illustrate the interdependence of these two diseases.
- Obesity and type 2 diabetes frequently occur together and the majority of patients with type 2 diabetes are or have been obese.
- Besides genetic susceptibility, obesity is the most important risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
- Lifestyle changes are the best way to prevent obesity and slow this worldwide epidemic.