The Concept of CMR
The Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes Epidemics
The Epidemiological Evidence
- 1Key Points (1 page)
- 2The Diabesity Epidemic: a Growing Burden (2 pages)
- 3Prevalence of Obesity (4 pages)
- 4Childhood Obesity (1 page)
- 5Prevalence of Diabetes (2 pages)
- 6References (1 page)
- Obesity and type 2 diabetes are major cardiovascular risk factors that have reached epidemic proportions. Both diseases are increasing all over the world.
- The “diabesity” epidemic strikes all genders, all ages, all educational levels, and all ethnicities.
- Currently, 1.1 billion adults worldwide are overweight and 312 million of them are clinically obese.
- The number of diabetic individuals in 2000 was 171 million. This number is expected to hit 366 million in 2030.
- Obesity and diabetes rates have increased dramatically in children and adolescents worldwide.